Timberline’s Take on Optional Masks

Photo by: Ally Metzler

Timberline’s supply of masks, which will shortly be in less demand.

By: Ally Metzler, Lead Photographer/Social Media Manager/Staff Reporter

On Monday night, the Boise School District had a board meeting and came to the conclusion that masks would be permitted optional after spring break, that date being March 25. After deciding to put all school activities back into pre-pandemic full swing, they still strongly encourage staying home when experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 and other illnesses. Covid case counts will continue to be monitored at schools across the district, but the most notable change from Monday’s meeting will certainly be the lack of face masks after spring break. Obviously, this will come with a lot of controversy with opinions from all sides of the spectrum. So when asked what their opinions on the policy were, here is what some Timberline students had to say. 

“I think it really depends on how we handle the Covid situation now and if it gets worse or if it gets better but personally I think that the amount of people in Idaho right now are not vaccinated and until that boosts up then this is not needed, we still need our masks and that’s what’s important right now.”

— Anonymous Student

“Honestly, I don’t really care. It doesn’t affect me, people do what they want I guess now.”

— Anonymous Student

“I feel great about that.” “Yea I like it a lot.”

— Anonymous Students

“I think it’s kinda weird because then some people will be wearing some and some won’t.”

— Anonymous Student

“I’m excited for it because I don’t like masks. It’s very hard to lift while wearing a mask.”

— Anonymous Student

“I think we are just going to jump up like two weeks after and either have to go virtual or seniors aren’t going to get a graduation.”

— Anonymous Student

As you can see, there is a wide variety of answers that address many aspects of student life: concerns for senior graduations, excitement for easier exercise, and a concern that the separation of people wearing masks and not wearing masks might be the root of another problem. Students wearing masks might be put into one connotation while students not wearing them will be put in another. What needs to be emphasized is to not judge someone based on their choice of whether or not they wear a mask. The decision has been made, and the only thing we can do now with this decision is to do whatever we think will keep us the safest from Covid-19, mask wearing or not.