Timberline’s Speech and Debate Team Sweeps Awards at the NSDA National Qualifying Tournament

Timberline%E2%80%99s+Speech+and+Debate+team+hold+their+awards+from+the+tournament+%0A%28left+to+right%3A+Ize+Upham%2C+Divya+Elancheren%2C+Jisong+Ryu%2C+Coach+Molet%2C+Blessy+Bellamkonda%2C+Brady+Dunn%2C+Cara+Halford%29+

Photo by: Yookyung Lee

Timberline’s Speech and Debate team hold their awards from the tournament (left to right: Ize Upham, Divya Elancheren, Jisong Ryu, Coach Molet, Blessy Bellamkonda, Brady Dunn, Cara Halford)

By: Jisong Ryu, Writer

Earlier this month on February 10-11, Timberline’s Speech and Debate team took home several awards at the NSDA National Qualifying Tournament hosted at Timberline. The team won two sweepstakes awards, with one being for speech, and the other being for the tournament itself.

The first day of the tournament was on Friday the 10th for speech events only. The next day was for debate with Timberline competing in Public Forum and Lincoln-Douglas, and the tournament ended with the award ceremony. By the end of the day, it was announced that six of Timberline’s students qualified for Nationals. The events in which the competitors qualified in are listed below:

Ize Upham: Informative Speaking

Divya Elancheren: Humorous Interpretation

Jisong Ryu: Original Oratory

Blessy Bellamkonda: International Extemporaneous Speaking

Brady Dunn: Public Forum and International Extemporaneous Speaking

Cara Halford: Public Forum and Dramatic Interpretation

These six will be competing at Nationals later this year from June 11th to June 16th in Phoenix, Arizona. Congratulations to all the qualifiers!