The Timberline Paw Print

The Student News Site of Timberline High School

The Timberline Paw Print

The Timberline Paw Print

Curiosity Behind KOSA

KOSA: A Closer Look at the Act
Photo by: Belle Goodale
A representation of KOSA bill.

Not many people are aware of the Kids Online Safety Act (KOSA) law and and legalities of it. KOSA is a bill that was introduced in the United States Senate by Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Marsha Blackburn (R-TN). It was introduced in 2023 after initially being proposed in 2022.

How might this be helpful? What are the benefits behind this law?

The goal is to limit inappropriate content. According to The Washington Examiner: “The legislation would also mandate social media companies to implement controls for users… limiting screen time, restricting addictive features, and limiting access to user profiles. The controls would be set by default to the strictest settings for users younger than 16. By setting an age limit of 13… our bill will put parents back in control of what their kids experience online.”

What else would KOSA enable in terms of restrictions on children?

According to the Washington Examiner: “Companies would have to give parents the tools to manage their children’s use of the platform. . . Would also mandate social media companies to implement controls for users, such as options for limiting screen time, restricting addictive features, and limiting access to user profiles.” While all of this is wrapped up under the guise of safety, there are some that are concerned about a possible intention of censoring certain populations.

According to the website: “Stop KOSA” : “KOSA could pressure platforms to censor . . . important information, including suicide prevention and LGBTQ+ support.” And LGBTQ+ individuals and topics aren’t the only voices that could be silenced. Race and gender topics could be erased too. Even “harmful” topics such as things like drug harm reduction, reproductive health education, suicide, and self harm reduction could be blocked. This is very concerning for people on this side of the issue.

How does this affect students at Timberline?

Even though the bill hasn’t quite passed and has the possibility of not going through, it could still affect us if it does. “As a school we comply with current federal and state laws regarding computer and internet safety. This is one of the reasons that the school district requires all students to only use their school-issued Chromebooks at school, as they have filters and software to be in compliance with those regulations” said Mrs. Vergara, our Timberline librarian. The intention behind these laws is protection.
The KOSA (Kids Online Safety Act) is a bill that offers potential benefits such as shielding students from harmful content and empowering parents with control tools, but can also be seen as a means of control. What do you think? Be sure to do your own research to keep up with all that unfolds on this issue.