The Timberline Paw Print

The Student News Site of Timberline High School

The Timberline Paw Print

The Timberline Paw Print

The Car Lot: Intriguing Bus of an Era

interests in the VW bus
Photo by: Belle Goodale
front of VW bus from Westside Drive-In mini car show

Today we will take a fine look at the VW bus. It goes by names like the Microbus or Bulli, even Kombi in Germany.  Most popular in the 60s and 70s, it was taken over by hippies and surfers due to its large cabin space that seats up to 9 people. 

The bus was different from our American cars, since it has a flat front as opposed to the curved front we are used to seeing. People loved the car nonetheless, its accessibility and panoramic view from the windows made it all worthwhile, and crazy enough is the fact that it is actually aerodynamic. There are many collectors of these hip buses, and apparently the price can differ based on the amount of windows. The most popular models have  21 windows  and 23 windows and tend to be the most popular and pricey. The record was sold at a Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction in January of 2017, and was sold for $302, 500!

Although it’s a fun car, this masterpiece can’t quite keep up with our modern day traffic, only going a modest 40mph. Bumping up that speed was risky, at too high a speed and too quick a turn the bus could easily tip, so be careful when taking this one out on a joy ride.

The bus is truly an icon of an era, easy to recognize and fun to drive. The people really loved this car, and they even decided to bring it back as electric! I’d say check it out, but you might not like what you see.. Hopefully you’ll stick with me and enjoy more classic cars just like this one, and make a comment on the next car you want to see or anything more on this one! Keep on rolling!