The Timberline Paw Print

The Student News Site of Timberline High School

The Timberline Paw Print

The Timberline Paw Print

Girls Basketball Celebrates Senior Night with a Win

How the Lady Wolves staged a comeback just before Districts
Left+to+right%3A+Seniors+Zoie+Henderson%2C+Josie+Walters%2C+Lexy+Blais%2C+and+Grace+Mertes+pose+for+the+camera+during+their+senior+night+ceremony.+
Photo by: Natalie Bryner
Left to right: Seniors Zoie Henderson, Josie Walters, Lexy Blais, and Grace Mertes pose for the camera during their senior night ceremony.

On Wednesday, January 25, Timberline Girls Basketball played their Senior Night game against the Borah High School Lions, ultimately taking the win with a score of 39-24. Seniors: Lexy Blais, Zoie Henderson, Grace Mertes, and Josie Walters were honored in a senior night ceremony just before the game, where they had the chance to walk out with their parents and receive flowers and hugs from their teammates. There was laughter and also a little sadness, as the team acknowledged how many contributions this lovely group of seniors had provided the girls basketball program.

Photo by: Natalie Bryner
Senior Lexy Blais prepares to shoot a free throw.

The game was not just an easy win, however. The Wolves had to fight to come back after a nerve wracking first half, where they struggled to make shots and trailed going into halftime.

A switch seemed to flip after their halftime huddle, however, as the Wolves pulled off a quick comeback by scoring 15 points in the third quarter and holding the Lions to only 5. This dominance extended to the 4th quarter, where the Wolves outscored Borah 11-5. As the final buzzer rang, the team ran to the center of the court in celebration of not just their win, but also for the seniors who had just won the last game of their final regular season. 

Photo by: Natalie Bryner
Senior Josie Walters take a shot from the 3-point line.

The Wolves now look forward to a run at Districts, hopeful to perform well, but also win a bid to the State Tournament. It will not be an easy path, but this team has consistently demonstrated grit and determination in their play, and are certain to put up a fight in every game.  

UPDATE: Girls Basketball won their District play-in game against Meridian High School. Their first game in Districts, which is double elimination, was a heartbreaking loss to Rocky Mountain High School, 42-44. They survived Borah once again in a 50-46 win, ultimately staying in the tournament. Their next challenge will be against Owyhee High School on February 7.