The Timberline Paw Print

The Student News Site of Timberline High School

The Timberline Paw Print

The Timberline Paw Print

The Car Lot: An Icon Throughout the Years

Take a look at the Volkswagen Beetle
Photo by: Belle Goodale
A 1963 VW beetle at the village car show

Hello everyone, this is a new column I’m very excited to write and I hope you’ll stay tuned to learn about my favorite car: the iconic classic Volkswagen Beetle, also known as the “slug bug”.

The name:  “Beetle”  was not its original name, it caught on from the New York Times. Its original name was ‘Volkswagen’ or ‘the people’s car’ noting its fuel efficiency and its affordable price.

According to Bug Love, the Beetle is lighter than most cars due to the engine positioned in the back, this gives it traction in the snow and sometimes the ability to float, it also naturally drifts around tight corners. The side-identical glove boxes allow for the steering wheel to be on either side of the car. A unique look comes with an uncommon storage compartment called a frunk or front trunk. 

Owning any car comes with pros and cons. The lightweight build of the Beetle is due to lack of safety and insulation, making it much louder than some prefer, and is easier  to crumble in an accident. It’s also not the fastest car, only reaching up to 100 km/h (62 mph).

Many people like to customize their  “Bugs”, well in 2014 a British engineer decided to strap a 1500 HP jet engine onto a Beetle, taking customization to a new level.  Theoretically the Beetle could go 140 mph. Does it run? It sure does, it even leaves flames as it speeds away!

So there you have it folks, a classic car that’s been around for decades. People have certainly enjoyed this car, myself included. Is there any information you want to add about  this car, or is there a car you want to know more about? Leave a comment below and keep on rolling!

1
View Comments (1)
Donate to The Timberline Paw Print

Your donation will support the student journalists of Timberline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.